Korean, female, 55 years old, housewife
1. What’s the average earnings and basic living costs of food?
|Average salary||1.8 – 4 million won/month||$1 650 – 3 660|
|Milk, 1 liter||3 000 won||$2.7|
|Rice, 20 kg||50 000 won||$46|
|Eggs, 15 pieces||7 000 won||$6.4|
|Chicken, 1 kg||4 580 won||$4.2|
|Pork, 1 kg||21 800 won||$20|
|Beef, 1 kg||49 800 won||$46|
|Mangos, 2-3 pieces||10 000 won||$9|
|Apples, 1 kg||3 000 won||$2.7|
|Mandarins, 1 kg||4 000 won||$3.7|
2. What celebrations and festivals do you have in your country?
Our family celebrates birthdays, wedding anniversaries, 60th birthdays, first 100 days of life.
|New Year||1 January|
|Chusok (Korean Thanksgiving Day)||3 – 5 October|
|Buddha’s birthday||8 April (lunar calendar)|
|Constitution Day||15 July|
|National Liberation Day||15 August|
|Independence Movement Day||1 March|
3. What’s the weather like in your country?
|Winter (-10° C Seoul, -2° C Busan)||December – February|
|Spring||March – May|
|Summer (+35° C Busan)||June – August|
|Autumn||September – November|
4. What’s the local cuisine and the dish of the day?
Every day food:
- steamed rice with side dishes (vegetables)
- kimchi (national Korean food)
- ramyun (Korean instant noodles)
- chicken breast
Vegetables are cooked with different types of sauce: sesame oil, perilla oil. Normally we order food from a shop/restaurant. We don’t cook at home because of the bad smell.
5. What expectations do you have for your grandchildren?
I wish them to be healthy, well-behaved, honest, merciful and care about other people. My favorite quote is “You have 2 hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others” by Audrey Hepburn.
6. How did you furnish and design your place? Is your house big/small?
Apartment. 3 bedrooms, 2 restrooms, 2 kitchens, 1 living room, 1 storeroom.
7. Is there anything unique created with people’s hands in this country?
Korean ceramics, china, embroidery.
8. What pension are you entitled to in this country?
For both males and females when you reach 65 year, you get a pension which is 20-25 % of your salary.
9. How much would I be expected to pay for the following: land, house, apartment?
|Apartment in Busan||350 million won||$320 000|
|Apartment in Seoul||3.5 billion won||$3.2 million|
10. How much would I be expected to pay for an apartment + energy bills + internet + other utilities monthly?
2nd floor (2-3 rooms) of a 2-story house in Gwangju
|Rent||240 000 won/month||$220|
Apartment in Busan
|Electricity||30 000 won/month||$27|
|Water||40 000 won/month||$37|
|Internet||38 000 won/month||$35|
|Gas||100 000 won/month||$91|
11. What expectations do you hope to achieve for the future?
I want to be a good wife and wise mother.
12. How do you want to die?
While I’m sleeping without pain.