Indonesian, 43 years old, lecturer
1. What’s the average earnings and basic living costs of food?
|Average salary||4-5 million Rp/month||$300-373|
|Milk, 1 liter||20 000 Rp||$1.5|
|Rice, 10 kg||100 000 Rp||$7.5|
|Chicken, 1 kg||30 000 Rp||$2.2|
|Pork, 1 kg||50 000 Rp||$3.7|
|Beef, 1 kg||80 000 Rp||$6|
|Egg, 1 piece||1 200 Rp||$0.09|
|Mango, 1 kg||20 000 Rp||$1.5|
|Watermelon, 1 kg||5 000 Rp||$0.4|
|Pineapple, 1 piece||5 000 Rp||$0.4|
|Durian, 1 small piece||25 000 Rp||$1.9|
2. What celebrations and festivals do you have in your country?
|Independence Day||17 August|
|New Year||1 January|
|Hari Raya Nyepi (Silence Day)||28 March|
|Hari Buruh (Labour Day)||1 May|
|Hari Raya Waisak (Buddhist New Year)||11 May|
|Hari Lahir Pancasila (5 principles of Indonesia: belief in one God, just and civilised humanity, unity of Indonesia, sovereignty of the people, social justice)||1 June|
|Sumpahpemuda (Declaration of fighting against Dutch)||28 October|
|Heroes Day||10 November|
|Hari Raya||Different date every year|
3. What’s the weather like in your country?
|Raining season||September – December|
|Dry season||January – August|
4. What’s the local cuisine and the dish of the day?
Every day food: rice, vegetables, fish, meat, eggs, milk, juice. And also:
- Nasi Goreng (fried rice)
- Mie Goreng (fried noodles)
- Lontong (rice cake with vegetables in coconut milk)
- Ayam Goreng (fried chicken)
- Soto (Indonesian traditional soup)
- Grilled fish/chicken
- Rendang (beef cubes with herbs, boiled in coconut milk until it’s dried)
5. What expectations do you have for your grandchildren?
I wish them to be better than me and their fathers & mothers, become successfull businessmen, doctors.
6. How did you furnish and design your place? Is your house big/small?
Modern style. Flat screens. Wooden furniture. Paintings. 2 stair house.
7. Is there anything unique created with people’s hands in this country?
- Ulos (a long scarf for special occasions)
- Batik (Indonesian traditional shirt)
- Cupboard, frames for paintings, baskets, tables, chairs made from Rotan
8. What pension are you entitled to in this country?
The pension age is 55 years for both male and female.
|Government officers (teachers, lectures), 60 years old||3 million Rp/month||$224|
|If a male (who worked) died, then his wife (who didn’t work) gets 50%||1.5 million Rp/month||$112|
Sometimes when you get retired, you get a big amount of money and nothing afterwards.
9. How much would I be expected to pay for the following: land, house, apartment?
|Land in a village||600 000 Rp/m²||$44|
|450 m² (15×30 m)||270 million Rp||$20 149|
|Land in Medan city||1.5 million Rp/m²||$112|
|450 m² (15×30 m)||675 million Rp||$50 373|
|House in Medan city||1.325 billion Rp||$98 881|
10. How much would I be expected to pay for an apartment + energy bills + internet + other utilities monthly?
|House taxes||2 million Rp/year||$149|
|Electricity||1 million Rp/month||$75|
|Water supply||800 000 – 1 million Rp/month||$60-75|
|Internet (unlimited)||400 000 Rp/month||$30|
11. What expectations do you hope to achieve for the future?
I want to serve people, share my knowledge/skills to students, create new comfortable facilities for students (restaurant, bar, kitchen). I want my students to speak better English. I want people to be smart.